Monday, June 26, 2017

Congo Week 1

My first trip out of the US has actually been pretty smooth.  All our luggage and medical supplies (except one air pump for bouncy balls) went through security. That was an answer to prayer!  I love travelling with these three wonderful friends!  Kate is going to be an amazing nurse.  She is going to work at Pioneer Mission Hospital for two years.  Her two sisters, Esther and Faith, are staying a shorter time, like me.  Faith and I will return home together in five weeks.



We flew out of Dulles Int. on Sunday evening. An eight hour flight from Dulles International to Charles De Gaulle (Paris) and then another eight hour flight to Brazzaville, Congo.  We arrived in Brazzaville on Monday.  We arrived at the Global Outreach Mission guest house that evening.  Talia was there to greet us and make us at home.  We had to stay at the guest house until Wednesday, waiting for a plane ride to Impfondo.  I calculated 34 hours with no sleep at this point.  I just couldn't sleep on the plane!


We visited the market in Brazzaville.  The meat is not refrigerated and to denote what kind of meat you are buying, the seller puts the head of the animal there with the meat.  It is illegal to take pictures of the market.  You actually have to have a license.  So I didn't get any photos of the animal heads. :(  I think it's beans and rice for me!




This is how my hair will look for the next five weeks.  Jamie is praying for lice prevention and I'm helping all I can!



I LOVE THE BABIES HERE! I WOULD LOVE TO BRING THEM HOME WITH ME!
It is considered very rude to take pictures without asking first so I haven't really gotten any pictures of the babies.  I don't know the language yet and I'm a little shy of asking mamas for photo ops.  It is extremely hot and humid here.  Lorien would melt into a puddle!  There is a lot to smell here, too.

This is Cherissa.  She asked if she could call me autie Arwen. :)  Her father is the eye doctor (Dr. Henri) and her mother a nurse (Joyce).  They homeschool Cherissa and her sister Karis and her brother Ezra.  I will help with their schooling while I am here.  They use the same math and history curriculums that we used at that age.  Cherissa is VERY talented!  She is teaching me to play the ukulele.  She has amazing pitch with the violin.  Faith is giving her violin lessons.  Rebekah is teaching her some piano.

The congolese version of Coke.  I had to try it!




This is Rebekah.  She and I homeschool together.  It's quite funny that I have ended up being the math teacher. ;)  Daddy should appreciate that!


Jessie and Dr. Loes


This is Cherissa's younger sister, Karis.  


Rebekah, Cherissa and Faith

On Saturday, June 24, we celebrated three birthdays:  Cherissa, Kari and baby Benonie.  Cherissa's and Karis' mother, Joyce did a wonderful job organizing the party.  It was the best birthday party I have ever attended!







Jessie, Ezra and Karis playing Chinese checker.


Paige and Karis.  Paige is a nursing student and a great friend. I love everyone here - they are all wonderful!


Joyce and Kate


Mama Sarah, another missionary nurse here at the hospital.




Joyce organized the best games.  One was a mix between charades and telephone. :) I can't wait to play them with my cousins!









Mrs. Harvey - she is such a wonderful lady!


Dr. Harvey and Mama Sarah.  Dr. Harvey is the medical coordinator here - the head doctor. Please pray for him as he has MS and has a heavy burden.






No comments: